April 6, 2016

Spec Update

I need to do a little house cleaning this morning. The Sidewinder gearing specs that were posted here (with the disclaimer ‘subject to change’) have been tweaked recently. The latest numbers I have been given are as follows:

129-137= 9T x 2.86 @ 21/41 gear.

141 x 1.6 & 153 x 1.75 = 8T x 3.00 @ 21/41 gear.

141 x 2.25 & 153 x 2.25 = 8T x 3.00 @ 24/50 gear.

162 x 3.00 = 7T x 3.00 @ 21/49 gear.

Our engineers plan to continue testing and development well into spring in the quest to produce the best performing sleds possible. I wouldn’t be too surprised if there are additional updates into production. I have asked a couple of senior engineers if the new turbo will deliver the same horsepower and torque as we have seen in the validation units. The answers have been quite positive with no changes indicated that would affect the performance.

If you have any questions on anything I post here or on the new sleds in general, please don’t hesitate to post in the comments.

Posted @ 8:26 am in Yamaha Insights

9 Responses to “Spec Update”

1. John says:

Hi Chris

Good to see specs posted.Will the Sidewinder come with tunnel protectors installed, and when are they scheduled to be built? I hope they show up at dealers by October.

Good question, I’ll need to seek confirmation and get back to you cr

2. Hal says:

Chris is the drivetrain ( jackshaft,chain,driveshaft) on the Sidewinder the same as used on the Vector?

Negative, the Vector is manufactured by Yamaha in Japan with parts procured in Japan. The Sidewinders are manufactured in the US by Arctic Cat using domestic parts procurement. I addressed the changes to the drive line including jack-shaft bearings gear strength, chain width etc in a previous post in early March including durability test conclusion. cheers cr

3. Mayt says:

Chris, all the specs say the LTX LE will have the RR skid. It’s my understanding that the RR skid is only available in 129 length. All of the show sleds had the standard rails on the LTX LEs. Are there new rails for the 137 that we haven’t seen yet or are the specs wrong?

This is a new spec for 2017. The 137 LE does have the same RR spec components as the 129 model LE cr

4. shawn patrick says:

hi chris I ordered a new 2017 RTX LE sidewinder turbo and I am wondering if it will have the goggle mesh bag that my last 2 vipers have had ? thanks

I just checked my spec grid and it indicates no goggle bag for Sidewinder LE. There is a foot-note that this is due to no bag available from AC at this time and if one is developed, the request is to have included on all LE models (Viper and Sidewinder). The best i can safely say is: no goggle bag on SRS with the caveat you might have a surprise when the unit arrives. I’ll try and get an update cr

5. MARC CANTLIN says:

I HOPE THE UP DATES GIVE OVER 120 MP ON GPS WOULD BE SWEET TO SEE 125 ON THE TOP END ON THE GPS ! GOOD BYE APEX HELLO SIDEWINDER GOT MINE ON THE WAY ON MARCH 2 GOING TO BE BEST SNOWMOBILE EVER MADE HANDS DOWN THANK YOU YAMAHA GOOD JOB !!!!AND GOOD JOB TO CAT ALSO!!

All things being equal, you will have no problem to see a buck twenty on the gps cr

6. steve says:

Chris, just curious why the XTX LE 137″ did not receive the same shock package and RR skid that the LTX LE’s did. If it had, I for one would have been all over that. In the future it sure would be sweet if we could order a base model and add features!
    Awesome sled! Kudos to everyone involved!

Actually the beefed up skid is no longer on the R-TX (or L-TX) LE models, but in the case of the X-TX it is a different skid altogether being ‘uncoupled’ it has more transfer for off-trail riding and air shocks for a bit of weight reduction. Different strokes for different folks

7. Low Slung says:

I was just reading a sled site that mention the sidewinder engine came first,and the YXZ1000R powerplant was developed after,is this right?(By the way i got to see the 2017 VK540 at my local dealer yesterday,very cool in black).

see today’s post thx cr

8. Chris Wells says:

will the S/W secondary fit an Apex

see today’s post thx cr

9. Dan Fraver says:

Hey Chris, a quick question that I hope you can clear up for me before you retire.

I have a SW BTX LE coming.
    I would like to run the stock track up in the U.P. and I would like to change the track to the new 153 x 3.2 when I go out west with it about ever other year.

Would you know if it will work under the BTX with only a driver change (going to a 7 tooth)?

I have been told that it should work? But I would like to know from a better source (yourself and or your sources) that it will work for sure before ordering a $850 track.

Thanks so Much, Dan (Agman 57 on TY)