April 28, 2015

Paint it Black

This week will see us finish up testing unless something drastic happens with the weather. We are doing some validation work on the 2016 mountain sleds as well as some prototype evaluation on the 17’s, somewhere out west. I am spending the week getting ready for meetings down at our Atlanta facilities (Kennesaw GA). It’s our annual season end wind up meeting with snowmobile service, sales, planning and accessories development people. I will need to review the direction for MY17 and out, then take a look in the rear view to see how successful our spring ‘Power Surge’ and the limited ‘LE’ models ended up.

At the same time, our designers are meeting in California to examine the latest sketches for the MY 17 line and critique some new styling cues in the form of a one ton clay snowmobile – this is where you bite your tongue and refrain from any references to the RX1 ;). Jon will be heading out to represent the North American team and I suspect our new design leader from YMC may be in attendence.

Dezi-NagayaI had the chance to meet Dezi Nagaya on my last visit to Japan where he presented us with his background, highlighting some of his accomplishments and sharing his vision for Yamaha going forward. It will be interesting to watch as our new products now in development, undergo styling and design influences under his leadership. It appears to be quite a big deal as the new design group has kiethtaken over the main floor of the Yamaha corporate center and Yamaha president Yanagi has clearly vested authority for the project in Mr Nagaya.

To give you a better idea here is a short article on the man. I found another article that made reference to Kieth Richards, stating Dezi’s wardrobe and swagger had an uncanny resemblance.

Dezi Nagaya article

Cheers cr

Posted @ 1:02 pm in Yamaha Insights

11 Responses to “Paint it Black”

1. TK says:

1Ton clay snowmobile that sounds intressting 🙂 do we dare to hope for a new all yamaha mountain sled? Any hints?

2. Shawn says:

…clay sculpture, Japanese designer, I hope this means an all new Yamaha developed chassis? Even the cat chassis is 6 years old next season. I’m on my 3rd Apex and have owned 16 Japanese built Yamaha sleds over the years. I love that 4 cylinder motor and power steering but it is time for a chassis change and not a borrowed one either!

Bare in mind that we are responsible to design the body work for all our sleds, even those produced in the USA… just saying. cheers cr

3. Greg says:

Hi Chris,
    This may not be for general publication, but is GKDI still involved or will everything be brought in-house?

That’s a good question, I’m not privy to the future direction. GK is currently working on everything under development that I touch.It could go several ways. cheers cr

YAHOO!!!!

5. Mr. T says:

Let me get this straight. The design team has taken over the whole main floor of the corporate center just for the design of snowmobiles? If so, then they are getting serious!

Ah no, not just snowmobiles, this is for all Yamaha Motor products. His vision is to have a connection throughout all our products with a foundation based on ‘Kando’ … Dezi on YouTube

6. Robert says:

Would you happen to know if Yamaha was involved in the development of the Ford Voodoo flat plane crank V8 in the GT-350?

Thanks

Short answer, I don’t know. I kind of doubt it.
    cr

7. Sean says:

Chris just wondering if you seen this before?

I have seen similar technology in other applications over the years.
    Interesting stuff…

Thx cr

8. Mark says:

Certainly you wouldn’t create a clay model to change colors from green to blue, would you?

Chris – can you give us a blurb on the new side-by-side release?

cheers,

10. Mark Lawson says:

Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey! It’s one week from Haydays! Are you going to come visit all the TY guys at Haydays this year Chris?

We would all love the chance to shake your hand and pick your brain!

11. Todd S. says:

It’s September, the magazine racks are stocked with the new snowthisorthat mags and some of the leaves are changing so its time for an update. Maybe some more on ‘Kando’ and his influence on the new 2017 Apex. Hope you had a great summer!

Todd S.