December 5, 2014

From Russia with Love

imageReturning home from a ten day visit to Russia. I can’t find the words to describe the experience with any justice but I will say my perceptions of this country prior to being here were far off from the reality of the Russia I now appreciate. This same comment applies to the snowmobiling. Our first day riding saw minus 35c and marginal snow conditimageions. There are no trails here save for those you leave behind and there are no rules and regulations to abide save those of common sense and survival. We beat the crap out of our sleds yesterday to gain access to some elevation but was well worth the price of admission with a tremendous 360
view of the Urals.

Our hosts made sure we experienced what our Russian customers like to do with their sleds. And we in turn, made the point of the great potential here in the new Russian federation for organized snowmobiling based on establishing a trail system and supporting infrastructure.

Ill organize my pictures and post some more background to this story when I get home and caught up, if you like. Until then… Do Svidaniya

image

Posted @ 4:06 am in Opinions and Insights,Yamaha Insights

13 Responses to “From Russia with Love”

1. Richard says:

The first picture enlarged looks great! It seems like a fair bit of snow, and I thought that it was “Bearcat” country! Ha Ha!
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics!

It must be nice to have been out ridding. I’m waiting rather impatiently!!

3. DNR says:

I like it! Thank you for the real world snap shots and post.
    Good stuff here cr.
    Ski-Don’t Svidaniya too!
    Safe travels,amigo.

4. Mark says:

Hi Chris,
    Minus 35C temps and riding a Yamaha! Great start to a sled season with early riding.
    You have got a great job.
    Looking forward to the pictures
    Mark

5. Shane says:

Tough Job Chris, but someone’s gotta do it:-)Shane

6. trailcruzr says:

Inquiring minds want to know = Did the Viper start with the reflash?

7. Chris says:

LOL Russian guys didn’t even know about the re flash but we got them running… cr

8. Anthony says:

HI Chris,
    You are lucky to be riding so early into the season. Here in Québec we are still waiting for snow.
    Talking about sleds I would like to know why Yamaha is not telling us what their plans are. I have been riding Yamaha sleds since 1995 and right now not knowing what the future is going to bring is really bugging me,
    I own a 2006 Apex and my wife drives a 2010 Vector. I have been waiting for years to trade my Apex but a sled with a 34.6 liters gas tank that gives my barely 200 km of riding is no good for me.
    Why Yamaha is not willing to tell us what the future is gonna bring.
    Are they going to come back with a 100% dna Yamaha snowmobile or from now on it is going to be Yamaha/Arcticat sleds. We need to know what is going to happen to take some decision. I am not looking on switching brand but I need to know what is going to happen.
    Could you let us know what is the future with Yamaha snowmobile

Regards,

Anthony

9. scott says:

I like the travel pictures. Thanks for sharing.

10. Mr. T says:

Anthony, There is no way Chris could tell us anything about the future without losing his job! My concern is, if he could, would he have anything earth shaking to talk about!

11. Jason says:

I’m hoping Chris says pure Yamaha is coming out with a new chasis.
    What would even be better is that they have been watching what BRP has done with the SPARK and made an affordable sea doo.
    I have seen were BRP has gotten their 600 carb MXZ down into the $7500-$8000 price range.
    More of the big 4 need to be doing this as the price for sled have
    Sky rocket. I know it be hard for yamaha to do.
    To be honest how many people accually need the newest technology.
    I for one don’t . Give me a ’08-09 nytro for $5000 and I’d be in heaven.
    Is it really that expensive to build a sled OR has it been the consumers that buy these’s high dollar sleds. The ones telling the big 4 to don’t worry about the price WE will still buy it.
    When are the big 4 going to relize that the average person buying these sleds are doing so knowing their on the line as too not really being able to afford it.
    But have seen if they don’t drive the newest model get looked apon as
    No bodies.
    I’ve watched shows (not mentioning any names )
    That laugh and joke about the garbage people own and drive just because they can hope on a brand new sled and drive for a year.
    I’d love to drive a brand new sled. But can’t

Do share more details when you are back!

Would you know it, I get the re-flash and it warms up. We’re having a beautiful December so far. I definitely notice a significant difference in the warm startups. Jury is out on the cold ones, though through 3 tests I’ve seen improvement, but still not nytro-quality starting. After 10 tests i’ll be in touch, interested in your thoughts on where we go with it if the results aren’t favourable. I think they’ll be ‘acceptable’ but not ideal – but it’s early yet.

I’m going to keep asking you to come up here until you do. There’s a cot at the wall tent with your name on it and your choice of Nytro’s or Viper lol

13. Vance Belbin says:

Explain “re flash”

vb

Jargon for reprogramming the ECU module. The ECU controls the fuel injection and ignition timing along with other electronic systems on board the vehicle. Not unlike a patch for a computer program. Dealers have a special interface device, they go online, download the program and connect to the ECU to install.