September 6, 2013

Bad Vibes – Part Deux

First I gotta say thanks for keeping an open mind regarding the chassis damper system. I was prepared for a bit of ‘flaming’ and what I have received so far are positive, intelligent comments and questions, which I’ll try to answer in this post.

Mr. T wanted to know if the snowmobile application would be in pairs and the answer is yes, in all applications.

The sled I rode in Shibetsu was an Apex as shown here but weIMG-20130823-00367 have not made any decision on what, when or even if we will go to production with this. (I for one, recommend we do)

Another related query was if the damper system would have as much effect if a different engine was used, the example being our cross plane R1 design. When I posed this question it was explained that the damper system has basically the same amount of impact regardless of the IMG-20130823-00368application. In other words if it improved an 800 2-smoke by X%, it would also improve a CP1000 4-stroke by X% – a flexy chassis by the same X% as the most rigid chassis. The one thing I found really interesting; it is thought the overall impact (the real X% value) will be greater on a snowmobile than on a car, where a lot of effort has already gone into control of the elements and the conditions of operation are far more consistent.

Of course the ‘biggy’ to many is weight. We pulled a damper off and hit the scales, the complete system mounted should come in under one Kg, (that’s about the equivalent to your morning constitution). In this case I think it would be worth every ounce.

My first comment upon getting off the Apex, was it felt like there was some kind of gyroscopic effect being applied. The sled settled down, feeling less nervous and more stable right from the first pull on the trigger but more on riding impressions later…

For those guys going to Haydays, we will have the system available as part of a ‘future technology’ display, you may want to take a closer look and go for a pint (or two) to discuss afterwards. 😉  Unfortunately I can’t be there this year but the weather looks good and there’s lots of ‘buzz’ out there, have fun!

Posted @ 9:39 am in Sled Development,Tech Talk

8 Responses to “Bad Vibes – Part Deux”

1. scott says:

Those are some interesting write ups Chris, I wasn’t aware of that technology. I really like what you are doing with the blog!

But, I guess I have to ask the question, why are the engineer’s spending their time on this when the sleds need to be lighter and handle better? Gee whiz, industry first stuff is all good and fine but at the end of the day it boils down to how many sleds did the company sell. This device doesn’t nothing to make me want to run down to a Yamaha dealer. I think the Yamaha sled engineers need to spend a week with the Cat sled engineers and have some of the Cat performance and innovation first mentality rub off on them.

From what I’ve read it sounds like Viper sales were good this spring. I hope there is more to come from the supply agreement.

2. Ken O. says:

Looks interesting, a demo tour and trial like Yamaha used to do with their sleds could be great convincers to the skeptics!
    I assume concept works with EPS too?
    Nice work!
    Ken

3. Yammerhead says:

Interesting stuff. It’s pretty hard to wrap ones head around how those two dampers would make a difference on the ride and handling of a sled. Some high speed film action of a sled chassis in motion over bumpy terrain might be be a good illustrator? I’d sure like to try a back to back comparison to see what my pants think.

4. Bob Hogg says:

So..the rear looks to have about 40 mm of damping travel and the front is rigid with end support bolts maybe 50 mm apart?

Can you tell from marks or grease on the shaft how much it actually moves?
    Or from an engineer?

Do you have more pictures from Haydays on the system?

This is fantastic

5. Mike says:

So im excited that Yamaha continues to try and create the most awesome sled on the trails but how about an awesome sled that doesn’t cost a much as s slightly used jeep. I mean seriously; heated grips, something that won’t break my back and maybe do 100mph I know it’s alot to ask when you guys wanna cram more unnecessary stuff in the most high end sled out there a 1980s phazer and the odd masage makes more sense.

Interesting stuff. Funny enough I don’t feel vibration in my Nytro’s, at least nothing I tend to notice…the Polaris I test ran was the same, which surprised me for an 800 2 banger, but ski-doo’s 800 was the worst vibration i’ve felt on a sled. Alright, I’m ready for snow. Thanks for sharing the info! Cheers, YK

7. Jamie says:

Can you elaborate on the absorber it’s self? My guess it’s dampened both ways in the stroke like the old VW beetle steering stabilizers.

This almost looks as though it could be retrofit to other brands even. I am sure I could fit one to my current mxz 1200 😉

8. Mike G says:

Looks agin like Yamaha is going down the wrong path …
    How about fixing the known issues with current sleds – especially the Nytro.
    Fix the front end, boards, exhaust (weighs more that the exhaust on my 430 Hp volvo diesels), fuel tank up to high, ridiculously poor ball joint design, too small wheels, etc.
    Buying two new sleds this year and after 30+ years of riding Yamahas they will not be Yamaha / Yamacat. Love the motors but you should not have to pour a ton of money into aftermarket fixes to get a sled to ride properly. The cat chassis is a poor solution and really makes me question where Yamaha is heading.

Sorry Yamaha.