January 25, 2013

Just Checking In

Been an interesting week. Started out with a morning flight to Minneapolis on Tuesday where I hooked up with the rest of the team and met up with the editors of the main stream sno-mo mags, web-sites and freelance content providers… the industries ‘media brain-trust’ if you will. This little soiree happens every year to give the various publishers and producers a chance to prepare articles and information in advance of any public release of new models in order to meet their dealines.

To make it easier on everyone involved, the manufacturers all have agreed to do a similar briefing at the same location within the same time period each year. I haven’t attended one of these in quite while and in hindsight I wish we had more time. There were people in the room I really wanted to meet and others I hadn’t seen in so long it would have been great to get caught up.

I am not going to drop any hints of who was there and what we discussed and there is no point to pumping any of your friends who may be ‘connected’ as all in attendance signed non-disclosure agreements. It is all a great big secret, which as my old grand-pappy always said – ‘two can keep a secret if one is dead’…so I am watching the web more closely than ever now 😉

One thing occurred to me while reflecting on the day, as journalists and publicists the group at large should be quite pleased with our presentation. I know we gave them lots to write about and really, that’s what they came for. Mission accomplished!

Next on the agenda is another trip to the airport bright and early Monday morning en route to our Minocqua R&D center. Hoping it is not quite so dang cold next week and they get a bit more snow over the weekend. Not really ready for another whirl-wind trip but it looks like I better get used to it as things are not going to let up until March for me. At least there will be a days worth of riding involved  on this go round.

So on that happy note… I hope you are planning a ride this weekend and the snow is falling. And for those of you in Yellowknife, maybe it will warm up above minus 40… SMH cheers cr

Posted @ 12:36 pm in Opinions and Insights

12 Responses to “Just Checking In”

hahahaha, we’re warming up to a beautiful (not being sarcastic) -25 C this weekend. I’ll take it!! Zero for three on the -35 C moose hunts and feeling like an iceberg isn’t the greatest on a 14 hour ride!

I am chewing my nails in my sleep waiting for the 2014 releases. A couple of big decisions to make afterwards.

Enjoy your ride and when things slow down you should add on one more hectic week and come north. I’m sure Doug will cover the costs! LOL

2. Daranello says:

Hmmmm lots to right about…..to be continued 😉

3. Mr. T says:

What was the expressions on the media’s faces after your presentation? Surprised…, Ho humm…, Jaw Dropping.., or the usual I told you so…?

From the front of the room,,’deer in the headlights’… cheers cr

4. Anthony says:

Hi Chris,
    Must be a challenge for those who know to keep the “Big Secret”. They are doing a good job since we can’t find anything anywhere on the new models. Only rumors.
    Can’t wait to see what they will be like.
    That’s all I am talking about for the past few months. My wife says I’m crazy. Well.. me be I am.
    What is the “Official” 2014 line up release date?
    Cheers.

5. Mark says:

Heh Chris,
    Thanks for the update. Still waiting for the 2014s to come. Got out for a ride on the local clubs trails today.
    Got stopped by the trail patrolers checking for trail passes. All 5 were driving 4 stroke sleds! Who says that 4 strokes are dying in the sled business.
    Mark

6. BeeZe455 says:

I am just praying you guys don’t join Cat and we get all the issues and poor support.

7. scott says:

What do you think of the article at sledrumors.com? Is it right on the money?

If its correct than you are good to spill the beans right? ; )

Well the title of their web-site is correct cr

8. steve roberts says:

CR,
    Nice hook set….just like a spy novel…waiting for the leaks and mis-information to circulate, keeping the ball in play….hahaha

how do you keep a sucker in suspense…….

Ill tell ya tommorrow

Regards

SR
    White Lake
    Void of Snow

LOL…!! cr

9. Low Slung says:

The boys at SUPERTRAX stated that after seeing what all the brands have for 2014 it will go down as the most significant model year since 2003.Would you say there correct?Or are they getting close to spilling the beans before the release dates?(and sledding on thin ice)

who am I to argue with the great editors of Supertrax… If Mark says it must be so 😉
    but I don’t know what the other guys are doing…

10. CraigB says:

Will you be replacing your Apex in your stable for the all new 2014 yamaha? Or is this a …time will tell answer?

hmmm, now that’s a good question!

Time will tell 😉 cheers cr

11. Larry D Lagergren says:

Hey are there new sleds coming out????….WHO KNEW!!

TOO BUSY Riding and Customizing my Blue Ride for our TY ride coming up, love to have you join us some day CR.

Well if the guys over at SUPERTRAX say it’s so…then it’s GOTTA BE Homes.

Well Gotta Go….the RED PHONE is ringing…OMG It could be YAMAHA CANADA with THOSE HOTT SECRETS…..C YA

Cheers
    Bountyhunter

Hope the TY ride went well!! cr

12. Todd says:

“Deer in the headlights…”??

Not sure what you were trying to convey but, that has never had any good connotations where I come from.

That makes me concerned.

Maybe you could follow up on that with some clarification.

One more question, is it true western dealers have been excused from attending the dealer show?

Thx

Hey Todd, to me a ‘deer in the headlights’ is kind of a look of total surprise but I guess one could go one step farther to say it’s look given just before you get run over by a truck. That’s not what I meant, lol.

I have also heard the rumor of western dealers being excused and I asked around. No one in my loop knows of any such statement, in fact we encourage our dealers to attend all our meetings as we focus on a lot of areas of our business together. New products are a big part but so are the many break-out sessions on p&a, sales, service, marketing, IT etc… short answer – No, there have been no dealers excused from attending the next conference to the best of my knowledge. cheers cr