December 23, 2009

Accessory Update

Well tsantahis is my last day in the office until the big guy slides down the chimney. I’m trying to tie up a few loose ends -okay, a lot of loose ends- so I can relax a little over the next few days. It goes without saying, those who like to read this blog are on top of my priority list, so here’s what I am looking at, relative to the stuff which I believe is of interest to some of you.

The BBS (blue blog sled) is still in pieces but we have it scheduled for reassembly on 2009_Vector_LTX_GT_BkSl_3the week of the 4th. As I said before, we are not going to touch the engine outside of a bath and an oil change. Bryan will be managing the actual logistics of selecting riders, availability and timing. We have had some awesome responses both on Sled Talk and through the back door at Yamaha. We will let you know who the riders will be in the first week of January.

The new blow molded XO / Mtn ski has been green lighted and is in production. Bulletins will be going out to dealers for ordering very soon. I don’t want to pre-empt any more of the ‘official’ information but I understand the plan is to map all the details of the new MT09 ski from fitment to skags, for public release, all happening early January.

Our TRIC scratchers are still on hold as we are taking advantage of the good early conditions to test the update and make sure (validate) the durability of the accessory parts. I am still quite confident that the scratchers will work well in our market and the delay should not create a major concern as the icy conditions that call for scratchers are generally encountered later in the season.

I plan to get out for a ride right after the boxing day turkey fest to shake out my Apex and evaluate several new potential accessory items including the G-Force Yamcharger. The early reports coming in from Simons CPR and a handful of customers on Totallyamaha are quite favorable. There are many trails close to opening here in central Ontario and with a little luck I’ll be heading out on approved, groomed OFSC trails. If that’s the case I have another sled to put in the trailer that may be of interest to my riding buddies (or anyone else for that matter) that I’d really like to get broken in before the New Year.

Also thinking if all goes well I may proceed with the YBTT and hook up with some of you Sled Talk fans in January to get your impressions of a new product. I’ll be watching the trail conditions closely to pick a location and some riders who might have the time, ability and interest to join me. I can guarantee it will be unique and fun.

SMB-10JKL-BLIf you are looking for some boxing day gift ideas, our Yamaha KLIM gear is starting to hit the snow and we have received some really positive feedback from our dealers and customers. I really like the KLIM stuff I have been using and would recommend it to anyone. It’s not as ‘flashy’ as some of the other brands but if that’s whats important to you we still have the Yamaha Racing /FXR gear.

So after that shameless endorsement of our sled apparel I’d like to leave you with a very sincere and personal wish for a safe and happy holiday.

We will be celebrating three years of Sled Talking early in the New Year and with that said, I want to thank all of you who frequent Sled Talk and support what we are doing here. Lets hope the economy  rebounds throughout 2010. And our common interest of snowmobiling continues to spread to our children and friends. Attracting more people outside to enjoy winter and nature in its most spectacular form. Ride safe, ride sober and ride on…  Thanks again  cr

Posted @ 2:25 pm in Accessory Stuff

16 Responses to “Accessory Update”

1. sledfreak says:

Hey Chris, Merry Christmas… I know I probably come across as giving you a hard time, but I feel that there are some issues with Yamaha that need addressing and you are the closest to them that I know of and can talk to directly. I like that.. Having said that… Thanks for listening..

Now what’s with this statement…

Come to the where I live, because I know I will have some interest in trying something new and would give you an honest opinion and not a paid one like other rags do…

Later,

Andy

No worries I always enjoy your comments, you are honest and frank, nothing wrong with that!… you’ll have to make of that sled statement what you will …what town are you in SF?
    all the best to you and yours for the holidays, cheers cr

2. pat the rat says:

first i would like to wish you and youre familly a merry christmas and a happy new year,and thank you for this blog,i enjoy reading all youre posts and what people have to say,i check the site daily to make sure i dont miss anything,cant wait to have a set of those scratchers,i just bought a pair of the yammi klim gloves,awesome product,very warm and looks durable,i’m looking forward to the new year and would love to see somethin new in february,if not,well we still have the best sleds out there,now maybe you can send us some of that snow here in the north,we still need about 6” to get things going,chow for now

3. Mark says:

Chris – Merry Christmas – I’d be interested in joining you for a day if you are looking for an honest opinion. Give me a weeks notice.

Cheers Mark (aka Yamforlife)

Guelph – Parry Sound

4. Chris G says:

Hi Chris, hope you and the girls have a great holiday, too bad we missed you last Sunday at Mr F’s annual brunch.

Cheers.

Chris – Happy Holidays!

I liked this post because of all the potential and excitement around it 🙂

It took me 52 hours of driving and just over 4600 km’s to get from Yellowknife to Elliot Lake. I arrived to early sets of groomed trails here although the OFSC website hasn’t listed them as officially open. I was out on them yesterday afternoon. They are in need of snow, but pretty good considering how early it is (and at the risk there would be no snow on my arrival, i’m pleased)

The drive was good, I did it in 4 days. There was snow right across the country. I hit every type of weather on the way down except for rain. Some of those hills around Thunder Bay required 4×4 with a foot of snow on the highway unplowed! There were some fatalities just ahead of me unfortunately. Those types of things are a wake up call. I must have seen a dozen vehicles in the ditches across the country.

Please keep me posted via my email address on your plans and i’ll do my best to match mine up with them. I’ll be in Sudbury on the 25th and Kapuskasing from the 26th until the 28th most likely, then returning to Elliot Lake I believe. Hopefully some more snow falls soon. They’re actually removing the snow banks in front of the house right now lol

I’ll be hitting the Iron Bridge/Thessalon area the week of the 3rd, then on Jan. 9th i’d like to do a full week of tripping. Was thinking Elliot to Sault/Wawa then across to Timmins down North Bay then Sudbury then Elliot. But that’s flexible.

Have a great time with your family!

Allan

Thanks YK and welcome to Ontario!! My in-laws are in EL and I have had the opportunity to enjoy the trails up there. I will absolutely keep you posted on where we are riding. The most likely opportunity will be when you get close to Sudbury North Bay…
    have a very Merry Christmas, all the best to you and your family.
    cheers
    cr

6. DoktorC says:

Let us know if you need some riding buddies “up north”!! We’ll be cruising the South Seguin starting boxing day…I’d love to check out that yamacharger!

Merry Christmas.

7. vector one says:

Chris
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Always enjoy catching up on the blog.

Anyway it looks like I’ll be testing the TRIC scratchers. Already bought a pair and have ’em installed on the Vector. I’ll let you know what I think of them after a few rides.

What kind of updates are you talking about? Can’t be a whole lot – they look pretty solid to me.

Dave

Hey Dave you have some of the first build scratchers and the mounting end tab will break, especially if you pre-load them per the instructions. We have recalled the originals and updated the mount to a machined stainless piece and we will exchange the ones you have for the updated parts, just get them, back to your dealer, sorry for the inconvenience.. ‘it’ happens sometimes… have a Merry Christmas.. cr

8. Carl says:

Already have my new Klim Yamaha Jacket. I wanted to match my blue SRX but the Klim blue wasn’t even close to match the sled. So I got black instead. Tried it on my first ride and was very happy. Mind you it was only -5C and I was in jeans…

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Thanks Carl and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours

cr

9. Bob Turner says:

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year Chris !!
    I’m coming from Thunder Bay down your way to ride for a week with my brother in law Dave who moved to Kingston from TB a year ago. We haven’t been able to ride together for over a year, but we are going to be fixing that, hopefully by the end of January. After reading several magazine stories about the area I’m kind of sold on the Abitibi Region of Quebec. It sounds like they have some super snow highways there! Thought Dave and I would meet in North Bay and start our adventure there, and hopefully do about 1000km or so, North Bay to Ville Marie, Val d’Or, La Sarre and so on back to North Bay.
    If you have any experience riding these areas we’d be most interested in your impressions. If you think another area would be better suited to our first tour in Northern Ontario we’re all ears!

The Turner family, Bob, Linda and Sara wish all of you sledders a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.

10. sledfreak says:

Sault Ste. Marie

11. DNR says:

The best of every season, to you and yours, cr. A little data for us BC riders. We pay for it may as well use it.
    These are called “Snow Pillows” data.
    Used for water shed forecasting.
    Beautiful weather and all pounded out conditions.
    Keep up the great job on the blog.
    Fellow in the first comment say alot.

Thanks Doug, cool link… cheers cr

12. sjspat says:

Chris, I just purchased yesterday, a set of the Tric ice scratchers for my 09 Vector LTX GT and they do not appear to be the updated ones as the ends do not seem to be stainless steel. I went to the dealer today and they are not aware of any issues with the Tric ice scratchers. Could you please comment and by the way, have a merry xmas and a happy new year!!

Hey S, The bulletin may not have made it to your dealer as yet… Tell him to check YDS (our dealer computer system), the holiday break slowed down some of the admin. If you use the old ones don’t pre-load them, just let them rest on the ground naturally before you tighten the nuts. We will exchange them for updates when available, best to keep them new. cheers cr

13. Larry D Lagergren says:

Hi CR; I hope you had a Great Christmas!
    Yes the CPR numbers are the same as the G Force numbers as that product delivers excately what it said it would 20HP. If there is a bit more to squeeze out of it I’m sure Jeff at CPR will find it. For all those performance buffs this is the best upgrade mod you can buy for that $$$. Now that you had your fill of turkey, what’s your thoughts on that Yamacharger?….or have you not gotten off it yet…LOL

All The Best In 2010

Thanks so much BH, I just got in from a good run with Huggy and the Lester brothers, another 220km on the Yamcharger and it is impressive. I think Kent is going to put it in the next Reed Valve column in Supertrax.
    It really wakes up the motor and, touch wood, hasn’t missed a beat. I agree it’s worth the $$. Kent said that the two Yamaha’s that we rode today were the best set-ups of any he has tried to date… what was the other one you ask? 😉 cheers cr

14. big50viper says:

Hi Chris, talked to my dealer today and he said there is still nothing on YDS about the recall.

The holiday season is upon us, the bulletin was delayed, should be issued next week cheers cr

15. sledfreak says:

Chris, I have a question for you regaurding the XTX swaybar. There seems to be another hole in the A-amrs to adjust sway bar (making it stiffer, I believe… Can you confirm this is what that second hole is for and how much does it increase the stiffness compared to the stock position.

Thanks,

Andy

16. Greg L. Fleenor says:

Hi Chris : A word on the Tric Scratchers. They may work on groomed trails but do not stand up to aggressive cross country riding up here in SK. I had my Yamaha tech install them on my ’09 RTX SE. Installation was proper (I checked everything after install). I lost them inside of 100km’s! No kidding. Gone. Both. They are in field somewhere in south-central SK. My dealer is aware of the facts. I have sledded for over 40 years, raced professionally & am a proud owner of a mod’ed ’09 Nytro SE. Also; the ‘tuning fork’ style billet wheels don’t cut the mustard either. I went thru about 6 of them before going back to the stock wheels. They crack & can’t stand up to fast, cross country running. Yamaha has a well-deserved rep for quality but some of these recent products are sub-standard. HNY to all!

Thanks Greg, we know about the scratchers and will replace your first set with an improved version as soon as we can. I’ll pass along the feedback on the billet wheels, they are coming out of the US.