May 22, 2009

Blackflies and Snowflakes

Lots of stuff going on around here but precious little I can talk about (at this point in time). I am already getting excited about next season and my new sled. I was totally ready to ride the new Vector next year but something has come up that really got my attention and I have decided I will once again be on board an Apex. But this one will be  special with the addition of a couple of new, soon to be released accessories… (fingers crossed).

tk1John and I had the pleasure of doing some ATV’ing the other day with a couple of Grizzlies outfitted with track kits. It truly is amazing what these things are capable of doing given the additional traction and stability provided by the big foot print. They will not replace a snowmobile but I can sure see why many guys are converting their bikes in the winter. Quite a giggle.

On the subject of tracks, I tried my skills on another interesting toy last weekend. A good friend hooked me up wihoeth his mini-excavator to dig a new foundation for my cottage. All motor heads should have a chance to operate one of these things some day. Double joy sticks, thumb buttons and foot pedals controlling multiple functions simultaneously is enough to challenge anyones mechanical motor skills. End of the day I didn’t wreck anything (too badly) and the dirt all ended up back in the hole. It was a humbling experience to witness Anthony, a truly skilled operator, take the controls, throttle it up and demonstrate how it should be run. Kind of like me putting in a hot lap on a snow cross course feeling all good about myself and then watching Steve Taylor take on the same lines…. serious shrinkage!

I had the pleasure to meet a fellow out in Revelstoke through his participation here on Sled Talk. Steve Burdick and his dad have a large collection of old  sleds assembeled under the banner of the New Hampshire Snowmobile Museum. Well Steve and his wife just brought a new Yamaha pilot into the world… congratulations Steve, looks like Jayden is just abouth the right size for that Nytro!bfsf

Well it’s just about time for me to head back up to the cottage to feed the black flies. Good thing I ride only Yamaha’s as it would really suck to break down on the trail this weekend… one more advantage to winter. Black flies and snowflakes hmmm kinda sums up my life these days 😉

Posted @ 3:05 pm in Opinions and Insights,Yamaha People and Communication

8 Responses to “Blackflies and Snowflakes”

1. DoktorC says:

Blackflies and Snowflakes would have been a good weather forcast for the long weekend lol. Boating in Sled gear and still getting bugs in your teeth…only in Ontario :).

Hey Rick… at least you were boating, not grovelling about in the dirt 😉 cr

2. Yammerhead says:

I heard a rumor about a certain company’s supercharger being added to the Yamaha accessory catalogue. Care to comment!? 🙂

gotta love a good rumor… ‘I will serve no wine before it’s time’ 😉 cr

3. Stephen Burdick says:

Thanks for the kind words about our son Jayden. He is already excited for his first Yamaha.

I see him on the following line up:
    Sno-Scoot
    Bravo
    Phazer MTX
    FXNytro MTX
    And Then WHo Kows Where……

The direct link to my dad and my collection is:

Thanks,
    Steve

PS….. Rode 40 miles yesterday…… yup still sledding in Washington State!!!!

4. daranello says:

Sound like maybe a low boost turbo apex?!!! I still think the FX Nytro XTX is the best sled in the world…this is from a guy coming off an Attak (Apex LTX)

Glad the Nytro fits your style… I don’t want another turbo for the trail, a little too much compromise with heat / fuel tank capacity etc (need to retain the stock muffler) , stay tuned cr

Hopefully by the word couple, you mean ski. Hopefully, 6.5 wide versions of Arrow skis by Kimpex. A guy can hope.

I think Yamaha might sell a few more ski upgrades than superchargers. Upgrades to the computer on all models to turn the hand warmers on high would be a nice seller as well.

Later
    Scott

That’s too easy, the grip warmers on the 2010 have been updated somewhat so juries out on if I’ll need one of Rockmeisters magic boxes and a set of Snow Trackers or Cobra Heads take care of the front sneakers. Now whats all this about a supercharger? 😉 cr

6. Phil Molto says:

Superchargers and running out of fuel…hmmm….sounds like a Mad-Max movie with a northern location.
    Back to the bug thing, I was cutting the cottage “lawn” last week and the bugs served me up as a buffet. Even a 30:1 mixture in the old Tecumseh couldn’t keep them away! It’s May 26 and I already miss a cold bug-less north. When are the grass drags again? When is that CSRA wood-chip race?
    I know, I should get a few boating sunburns before I think about snow….
    Phil Molto’

Hey Phil that’s one heck of a buffet! cheers cr

7. Flatlander SE says:

Maybe they should make a “Track Pack” for the Nytro(Frame/Tunnel reinforcement, 1.75″ track, light weight muffer, etc).

Competition spec…………Maybe?

8. Ike says:

Sounds interesting about the accessories.

After my first season onboard of an ´07 GT Warrior, I´m bit torn how the sled rides.

It has smooth and powerful engine. Suspension and ride needs some tuning to be my liking. I´ll have to get the shocks revalved and the stock track must go. Build quality seems to be bit lower compared to the old Vmax-4 what I have. That thing is build good. After 12 years of riding, it still looks and performes like new.

And I envy you CR. Riding ATV´s in snow and playing around with some serious heavy equipment same day. Man, you got have the dream job of any sledhead.

Ike

Thanks Ike, not to mislead you but the ATV picture was taken earlier in the year. The track systems we have are all season and we were riding in the dirt but I didn’t have my camera along to capture the moment… interesting comment that you feel the Vmax4 has a better build quality than the 4-stroke… cheers cr