December 5, 2008

Yamaha Acronym Challenge

I thought it would be fun to scribe some of the many acronyms that we have used around here over the years. Yamaha is quite famous for taking different component descriptions and abbreviating them into simple letters for internal reference. It is not unusual for these labels to get adopted by marketing, service or sales and over time most have surfaced as either word of mouth or in print.

To make things interesting I am going to post my list containing 48 of these gems and see how many you might know. If you think you can identify a good number tell me how many (just the number will do) by way of the ‘comment’ box below and I’ll contact the highest bidders to confirm what each one represents.

In a couple of weeks I’ll post all the answers and award the two best guessers. Oh by the way I threw in a couplekit.jpg of general terms as well as a few service department references which require the ‘family edition’ response πŸ˜‰

For the awards, I have a couple of the 40th anniversary collectors sets ‘up for grabs’ which consist of an FX Nytro 40th edition scale model nicely displayed in a plexi-case with two original pistons, one from the ’68 SL350 and the other from a 2008 FXNytro. Good luck and enjoy the memories…

acronyms.jpg

Quick update on the SX race team. Duluth was an extreme challenge and they have decided not to travel up to the CSRA event in ‘the Soo’ this weekend, electing instead to spend all their time in testing and development… stay tuned.

Cheers.Β  cr

Tags: , , , , , ,

Posted @ 12:40 pm in Opinions and Insights,Yamaha People and Communication

14 Responses to “Yamaha Acronym Challenge”

1. Len Slipiec says:

2. Dustin says:

I’ll be honest, I only truely know 3, but could guess at a half dozen or more.

3. Low Slung(TY.com) says:

Maybe 20 or more for sure.

4. Peter says:

14 I think without kyb,thats short for kayaba

Correct on KYB, one of the general ones I mentioned, we were the first sled OE to use them and market using the KYB acronym…. but you just gave away one of your answers πŸ˜‰

5. Mark Johnson says:

Thanks for the update on the SX race team!
    I was going to drive up to that race this weekend. I’ll have to wait for another weekend.
    I’m still working on the Acronyms.

Mark

I recognise 9 but could only tell you what 6 of them are word for word.

7. Zak says:

i only know five without looking them up….

8. Ike says:

I get 10 without realyt trying. I could guess lot more, but since english is not my “first languaqe” itΒ΄s kind a hard… LOL

Ike

9. DNR says:

Well I’m snafu’d over most of them. If I could use The Over Ride Sense on them…I could get names for all of them. What kind of Yamaha am I ? After 31 years of Yammies in the barn…..I can guess 3, 4 with Peters help, lol. That’s my bid and I’m stickin’ to it.

10. lakercr says:

Hmmm, I think I’m good for about 20 of them off the top of my head. If I answer them all can I please have the life-size versions for a prize??!!

Red is nice, but a blue XTX would be fine as well.

11. parepadarappa says:

I know 15 of them, I could probably get more with a little research.

I think I’ve figured out 28, 29 if I get to count sscc twice.
    I love reading your stories. I check the site every week!! Keep up the good work.
    snoguzzlers unite!

I asked a few Yamaha buddies for some imput. We are up to 35. I want to win!!

35… That’s awesome you must have some former employees as buddies πŸ™‚ cr

14. Brandon 16 says:

what type of oil should I use in a v-max 750
    ?
    You can’t go wrong with Yamalube 2S SMB Injection oil but any brand name, 2-stroke injection oil for snowmobile is OK. The Vmax engine is a ‘hammer’ when it comes to durability.

cheers