November 12, 2007

Sled Talk: Meet Bike Blog

You gotta do something while we wait for snow, right?

When we launched the Sled Talk Blog we knew we were breaking new ground and really didn’t know how it would pan bb1.jpgout. Well it’s been nine months now and I am happy to tell you things are going quite well largely due to the respect you have shown me by keeping the comments real and staying within our ‘terms of use’. We have had the vision all along to expand blogging to other product groups, the most logical being motorcycles. Drum roll please… The Yamaha Bike Blog is now live and official.

Bike Blog differs from Sled Talk in as much as it is a ‘collaborative’ effort with many of our employees, including motorcycle product manager John Bayliss, participating.

Unlike snowmobiling, motorcycling encompasses several very distinct owner groups from cruisers to sport bikes and motocross to scooters. We will be posting a couple of times per week introducing our authors and growing our content regarding all of the above and more.

If you enjoy Sled Talk and dig motorcycles, you might want to add Bike Blog to your RSS feeds or enter your email address to get all the updates. I’ll be working on Bike Blog as well as Sled Talk to make sure your comments are directed to the right people for consideration. We’re just getting going so please take a look and give me your thoughts…

If you don’t care about bikes, sorry to hijack the blog for this announcement. I’ll get back on the ‘sled trail’ later this week

Tags: , , , ,

Posted @ 10:51 am in Yamaha Insights

8 Responses to “Sled Talk: Meet Bike Blog”

Cool! I can express my desire for Yamaha to produce or bring a big bore dual sport bike to the US market.

Hey Scott I think we’re in the same motorcycle camp (kinda hoping for a big ‘ol single myself)… hope you left your comment on Bike Blog, helps to steer the powers that be! cheers cr

2. Bob Hogg says:

Holy crap…how much spare time do you people think us readers have on our hands. We work from home and Lorna is on my case when she sees me sneaking a peak at sled information during the day – and then you introduce a motorcycle blog and more!!!!!

Bob, Lorna must understand your blog time is purely educational, you find no entertainment value whatsoever in motorsports information. And it is your responsibility and duty to stay abreast of all things moto… ride-on cr

Hi Chris – I have a technical question for you.

I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of discussion surrounding elevations and clutch work and gearing.

There’s an argument that clutch parts strictly affect the RPM’s while gearing affects the speed and not RPM’s.

Some riders with the MTX at sea level are putting in the clutching updates, but leaving the gearing stock, thinking that this will compensate for the high RPM’s but still leave you low end grunt.

Can this set-up pose any issues? Are you conflicting trying to repair your RPM’s by only changning clutching and not gearing?

Concerns such as clutch heat and traction during deep powder riding and towing are behind these theories.

What do the professionals at Yamaha think?

On a second note, the design of the A – Frame protector on the 07 Mountain Lite and 08 Phazer MTX allow snow to enter the steering area and accumulate causing ice buildup and frozen steering. I experienced this last winter and required all new steering components. At that time I was told Yamaha was working on a new A – Frame protector that would not allow snow in. Is there such a plan or product available yet?

Thanks for you help

Wow that’s a lot for me to address in a blog post, I could write a short book on the subject… couple of points to consider. Gearing effects the speed once the clutch’s are fully shifted out and, given enough power, the engine can rev to the point of banging off the limiter, ‘thats all she wrote’. On the other end gearing effects the engagement point and determines how much slip and squeeze force is required to get the sled moving into the shift out phase. Once you are rolling the clutching does most of the thinking with the secondary sensing the load and the primary working to keep the engine in its peek power operating range. The gearing does have an effect on how the secondary senses the load and how much effective ratio to speed the clutches have. 4-strokes by virtue of their torque are easier and more forgiving to clutch than a two stroke (wide versus narrow power band) and can take also more weight down low giving quicker response couple to the engine torque. The additional squeeze force can also lower temps a bit with less belt slippage at the primary. Deep snow adds another curve where you need to maintain ideal track speed regardless of actual speed (especially climbing).

I think the guys are likely doing the right thing to start by leaving the lower gearing at sea level and adjusting the clutching to control RPM at least initially. I’m old school, run her stock see what you have and make incremental changes one step at time, recording the results. I don’t buy into magic wand specs and what works in Ontario probably won’t in YK or Michigan for that matter so careful who’s advice you take online. You are pulling extra load with your sled, the lower gearing will help equalize things for the clutches, remember they think you only have 100hp instead of 130 (3%/1000 foot of elevation). also you have a lot of track underneath and even geared up you won’t pick up that much more speed (if any) as its mostly all lost to the inefficiencies of the deep lug track (exponential at higher speeds).
    On a positive note at least you are not having to fiddle with jetting 😛
    I’ll have to check on the A-arm protectors, what you refer to has been addressed somewhat by the steering recall bulletin issued on the PZ’s.

… cheers cr

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to provide that detailed answer.

I will have the clutching adjusted to sea level, and leave the gearing stock and go from there.

As far as the A – Frame protector goes, mine did receive a series of riveted screen’s i’m told, which is to address snow entering the steering area. I will verify tonight and snap pictures for TY and provide a link here to the pictures.

Thanks again,

Regarding the A – Frame Protector upgrades.

Yamaha has a couple of steel plates that are riveted in behind the A Frame Protector. They are designed to prevent snow from squeezing between the cowling and the A Frame Protector and entering the steering compartment. Last season I had snow entering this area during deep snow application. The snow partially melted and froze the steering solid while I was 100 miles out of town. I had to manually turn my sled the whole ride home, it was a large concern. Have a look at the pictures I took of the new hardware:

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/gofenkoa/2007-2008%20SLEDING/UpdateAFrame.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/gofenkoa/2007-2008%20SLEDING/UpdateAFrame2.jpg[/IMG]

I certainly will put this update to the test, but my educated guess is that these plates will not solve the problem. The plates themselves have small gaps underneath them which will still allow snow to enter the steering area.

It should be noted that this issue may not be very common because the ideal conditions for the problem to occur include extreme cold and very dry snow, much like sand, so it can get into the smallest cracks and cause problems. I will keep you all posted.

6. clay thompson says:

I have a 1998 Yamaha 700 srx mountian, I am having trouble with either my exhaust or clutch. I was told my sled should run anywere between 8500 to around 9000 rpm. I had found a broken exhaust cable, repaired it, and now I can’t even get past 7000. I have adjusted the valve back to prev, and still no gains in rpm. This sled was very powerful until now. cant understand were I went wrong. Any helpful suggestion would be appreciated

Clay there are a lot of things that could cause loss of RPM. Trouble shooting diagnostics is a fine art and one that is learned with time and experience, the kind you’ll find at a Yamaha dealership. That said the YPVS exhaust valves need to be cleaned and properly adjusted, (the broken cable sends up a red flag for me).The clutch system should be cleaned and inspected it is easy to determine if the problem arises there. After that you’re back to the basics of deciding electrical, fuel system or mechanical, rule out two and chase the third. You could have anything from a scuffed piston to a gremlin in your igniter… Good luck cr

7. clay thompson says:

thanks for your input, I have all new pist.jugs exhust cables everything is great . I had the rpm around 9200 for a day, broke my steering post and now have the same issue. I have asked yamaha for troubleshooting advice and the reply is $100 per hour can fix my problem. I cant justify 100.pr hr can someone who has had simmular problem tell me what worked for them. thankyou

8. TK says:

I have a Yamaha Phazer 2007 Mt. Lite that has a problem. I drove the sled all day and then when I went to start it again, it won’t turn over. There is no power going to the fuel pump.

What could be the problem?????

All the fuses are good.